[pianotech] customers

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 17:36:03 MDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Marshall Gisondi
<pianotune05 at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  *"Oh, I was just thinking I should call you, I'm so happy you contacted
> me.
> That is such a nice service you provide."  It makes me feel great and
> also makes it all that much more worth while.  Besides, it also eliminates
> most last minute requests for tuning "before Sunday."  *
>
> Hi Jer,
> I usually get excuses when I call, I'm in a meeting, or a voice mail.
> These folks knew that I'd be calling again.  I'm tired of the excuses.  I'm
> glad you guys out there are having better success at repeat tunings.
> Marshall
>
> Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
> Marshall's Piano Service
> *pianotune05 at hotmail.com*
> 215-510-9400
> *www.phillytuner.com *
> Graduate of The School of Piano Technology for the Blind
> www.pianotuningschool.org Vancouver, WA

Marshall,
There's a wealth of good advice here, I'm only going to add my observation,
don't take it personally!

It took me a long time to understand that many people don't CARE who tunes
their piano & are as loyal as a goldfish. The old adage that you are only as
good as your last tuning is true but there's more to it than that.

There's, who else you tune for, how you presented yourself, were you on
time, the customer's mood that day & a hundred other things that can & will
affect whether they continue to use you.
It's nothing to do with you or your work, it's the luck of the draw!
Having said that, you will find a core group of customers who will be loyal
& use only you, regularly. There will also be those I've described above who
are always just never quite sure if the piano needs tuning, maybe next
month?

So don't take it personally, it's a business, some customers will become
friends, others will always treat you like the hired help & you'll know you
can be replaced anytime. Keep them all as CUSTOMERS & remember if they were
really your friend, they wouldn't be paying you, would they?

Mike

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

    Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service