[pianotech] Treble bridge repair

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 23 10:03:03 MDT 2010

Joe Goss suggested:
"5 minute epoxy"

Joe,
NOT recommended. 5 minute epoxies do not have the needed strength.  Strength is sacrificed for speed so to speak. DAMHIK! It's best to use something like Devcon 2-ton epoxy. Either clear or steel versions are o.k. J-B Weld is a version of the "steel" type epoxies. Steel types are used to fill large cracks that have to be "V'd" out. That method does take a bit longer and a different technique, but all doable within the "four hour" time frame. The time needed for the epoxy to set up, is NOT part of the time you charge the client! (unless you want to spend the night and just sit there and watch the darned stuff set!<G>) Hairline cracks, you need not pull the pins. Simply use a large soldering iron and heat the pin and apply a drop with a toothpick to the base of the pin. The heat will "suck" the epoxy right into the hole/crack. Some of the more modern types prefer to do that trick with CA. NOT recommended either. I some times wonder why most cannot figure out the process from the Repair Labor Guide. OR...just call me and I'll explain it.
Regards,
JOE

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police