[pianotech] customers

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 09:24:29 MDT 2010

Marshall,

One of the most important things that helped me grow my business was to have
mentors. I used to drive an hour to a friend's house to help him do shop
work. I worked cheap and tried to help him make money. I did this for a
couple of other technicians as well. Having "friends in high places" is a
real advantage. Not only will it sometimes lead to more work, but "guilt by
association" also goes the other way. If a reputable tech's name is
associated with yours it can help boost your own reputation. The most
important thing is, however, that only by working with top notch people will
you have a sense of the quality of your work.

Spending a lot of time and money advertising and promoting a business that
is not founded on professionalism and quality workmanship is like spending
$10,000 restoring an old piano where the board is shot. It will still sound
like an old piano! The best way to know if you're building YOUR business on
a solid foundation is to have some guidance from someone who has already
"made it".

Jerry Groot regularly uses subcontractors with his business. Usually the
most successful techs have more work then they need. If you can gain their
trust and go out and make them money they will be happy to send you work.
But it has to be worth it for them.

Ryan

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT