[pianotech] repeat business

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Aug 22 10:25:32 MDT 2010

  Hi, Matthew

I believe in realism when helping a customer decide how much tuning is
appropriate. If, as in my example, a piano has been without tuning for
one or more years, and is still good enough that the customer doesn't
mind it, and it then goes way out due to a weather event, then if they
manage to wait a few weeks and it goes back in, not every note will be
perfectly restored --- however, since the unisons weren't perfect
before, either, it's up to the customer to determine if they are far
enough out to warrant a tuning. It's their money, after all. Plus, it's
my time, and I prefer to spend it where I can make the biggest
difference, or where a high quality instrument and/or an event like a
concert repays the effort.

I think that when finding a note dead in tune after a year or longer,
disturbing and resetting the pin is not a good idea. It demonstrably is
already well set, and moving it only introduces the possibility of
worsening the stability. Your mileage may vary. I think that tuning pins
should be moved the minimum amount necessary to get notes in tune,
starting with a tiny nudge to the downside, barely enough to hear a
pitch change, to break any rust or resistance at the top bearing..

For the "self-healing tuning", a surprising number of unisons will be
quite good. No doubt some will be worse than they started out. The
question is whether the amount they've changed moves them out of the
customer's "zone of tolerance" (which can be pretty wide, I've found)
enough to justify the expense of a complete tuning.

Most of this makes better sense in a very forgiving climate, like many
places on the West Coast enjoy. Pianos, once stable, and if in good
health and a good location, can often coast for years and years and not
be all that awful. Compared to places with muggy hot summers and crackly
dry winters, both owners and tuners here are spoiled rotten.

Susan Kline