[pianotech] pianos going out of tune

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 21 12:31:59 MDT 2010

Hi Todd,
In school we were told to leave a string alone that was in tune, a unison that is.  A lot of times if I'm coming back to a piano I just tuned recently, I'll check the temperament retune where necessary and do the octaves etc.  I'm curious. If pianos go out of tune as soon as we tune them, how much is that based upon whether we set the pins correctly and how much is based upon climate change, structure etc?  How can we know which factor caused the pinao to slip out of tune?  I find if I do a pitch raise it takes a while to get the piano stable again.  So I try my hardest not to go way out when doing the pitch rasie, move it as little as I can get by with without wandering too much.  With all of these factors however, I still prefer a real acoustic piano over those electronic things. :-)
Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com