[pianotech] repeat business

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 14:15:34 MDT 2010

I came to one of those pianos this past week - they claimed the piano had
been tuned 3 or 4 years ago, and the tuning sounded pretty darn good. But I
noticed the tone was a bit subdued by the string cuts in the hammers. So I
was able to do a quick hammer filing/string mating and touch up tuning in
the same time as a regular appointment. The difference in touch and tone was
very noticeable, whereas if I had simply tuned the piano, any improvement in
the sound would have been mostly placebo effect.

Its rare that I find that there isn't some improvement that can be made to
the regulation or voicing of a piano. They can always stand some cleaning,
and some clients appreciate that more than the tuning!

Ryan

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter