[pianotech] repeat business

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Aug 19 12:13:10 MDT 2010

>I've been amazed at how sour tunings can go with a seasonal change,
>and how they can magically heal themselves when things return to
>time of tuning conditions.

Hi, Ryan

Ah, yes, the self-healing tuning. That has always been a favorite idea for me.

I do warn customers that if a piano which has sat in pretty good
shape for a long, long time suddenly goes way out of whack in a few
days, they should grit their teeth and wait about three weeks,
because often it will go right back in. On the other hand, if it goes
sour all at once like that, and they tune it then, give it about
three weeks and it'll probably go back out again, only in the other direction.

I try to spread the idea to customers that it's better to tune just
after a major change of season, instead of just before it.
Nonetheless, they are the ones who decide, and if in spite of being
warned that the time is not ideal, they want a tuning in August ...
they get a tuning in August. (Well, not THIS August, at least not by
me, but maybe next August.)

If I come to tune a piano and it's almost perfect already, even if it
has been two or three years, I give it a touch up and the customer a
price break, and I suggest waiting till it bothers them to have it
done again. So many people feel that "regular maintenance" should be
determined not by how the piano sounds but by how much time has
elapsed. I try to convince them to use their ears instead. "I feel my
life is too short to spend it tuning pianos which are already in tune."

Susan Kline