[pianotech] Cleaning Tuning Pins

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 19 12:13:21 MDT 2010

Patrick asked: "Good Morning: I am restringing a Wegman upright which has a metal pin block and uses specially made tuning pins. I will have to reuse these pins, and unfortunately they are all coated with 100 years of crud. Is there a recommended solvent of some sort that will restore them to a passable condition?
Thanks,"

Patrick,
Go to your nearest sporting goods store and get a gun bluing kit. All the chemicals to  clean and blue will be in there. Takes a little practice, but works really well, once you get the knack. I do that to many of my rebuilds where nickle plating would not be appropriate.
Regards,
JOE

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police