[pianotech] repeat business

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Aug 18 13:18:16 MDT 2010

Hi, Marshall

I remember what it was like when I first started, and I didn't have a
family to support. Even just making rent was hard. It seemed to take
nearly forever, getting that first business going.

Your phone message implies that your old customers have already
agreed to buy a six month tuning, when they haven't. People don't
like being taken for granted or ordered around. They particularly
won't want to hear from you over and over when they didn't want to
answer the first message. In fact, if you pester them, they'll start
to tell other people about it, which could lose you work instead of
getting you more. "His tuning was okay, but we just couldn't get him
to stop phoning over and over again. He held on like a leach." You
don't want to go there!

If even 5% answer and book another tuning, you're doing extremely well.

I'm not sure that telemarketing is a good model for a piano business.
With telemarketing, I imagine, you make thousands and thousands of
calls, and then one bites, and that's success. But with piano tuning,
you're dealing with a limited number of people, many of whom are part
of a relatively small music community. They talk to each other. There
are not thousands and thousands of people to annoy on the chance that
one or two may buy.

It's not that you shouldn't be persistent, it's that you should be
persistent in a different way. "I'm calling to see if you're ready to
have your piano tuned, since I last tuned it [x number] of months
ago." And if you are talking directly to them, and they don't want it
tuned, then you ASK them if you MAY call them six months later. If
they seem reluctant, you back off.

One good tuning after another, taking care of details like pedal
squeaks, loose case parts, missing knobs and rubber buttons (with
permission), and a light touch on the reminder phone should get them
talking to each other about how they should call you, especially if
you are on time and cheerful. If you feel like being persistent, then
be persistent in dealing with hard piano repair problems. There are
always some problems in a few pianos which are really hard to fix,
but which make a difference. If you keep on and on with those,
getting help from your colleagues if need be, that's a good kind of
persistence, and you will be improving your skills and making your
customers fond of you.

If someone doesn't answer more than one call, NEVER go after them in
a different medium like Facebook! That is what they will call
HARRASSMENT. Just don't do it! There's another customer out there,
you don't have to rope and hogtie each one. In fact, you can't.

As to whether you call them at all, the first time, that's up to you.
I did it a little bit, but never liked doing it, and I didn't get
much return business from it. Fixing  little problems in their pianos
like nasty noises when other piano techs had failed did a lot more
for my business than phoning. But different people do these things
different ways.

Best wishes, glad you like your work, it's such good work, and so useful.

Susan Kline