[pianotech] Steinway Pedal Lyre Regulation After Reconditioning

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Sat Aug 14 00:20:14 MDT 2010

Today I re-installed a reconditioned 1970 Steinway D lyre, and found that
all the rods are too long.

I believe all the basic parts are "original."  I replaced all the pedal
bushings -- leather, rubber pedal rod bushings with the little leather
inserts, teflon pivot rod bushings, pedal cushions (ravioli) , etc.  Now the
sostenuto piston is protruding up into the keybed 1/8" or maybe 1/16", the
dampers have a slight ring, and I'm not sure what's going on with the una
corda because I still have the action torn down, but the trap lever looks
high.

The pedal rods are the newer adjustable type, and I didn't expect this to be
a problem.  But I've got the nut turned all the way down as far as it will
go and they're still too long.  There's only one leather disk on each trap
lever (original I believe, and slightly worn in), and no felt or other
bushing or shim in that area.

I'm thinking this might be because the system in 1970 was to place a larger
leather bushing in the bottom of the pedal receiving end, and the rubber
bushing only went around the outside of the rod, whereas now you've got the
thickness of the leather + the thickness of the rubber bushing underneath.
But I thought they made the little leather inserts thinner than the larger
diameter leather bushings that went in the bottom of the pedal.

An alternative source for the problem might be thicker ravioli.

I'm inclined to cut the rods, but don't want to mess up original equipment
for the long term unless that is the way to go based on lots of experience
from other reconditioners/rebuilders.  Are there subtle differences in the
length of pedal rods over the years?  What about trying to compress the
ravioli?  Any other ideas?

Am I missing something here?
--
Paul Milesi, RPT