[pianotech] shades of gray

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Aug 13 22:59:03 MDT 2010

Rob McCall wrote:
> Also, on some newer computer systems, the fonts have the
> capability of being "smoothed" in the various software
> programs they use to create the Journal.  This will often
> be accomplished with dithering of the font which will give
> it the soft edges that it appears to have. It makes it look
> better on a low resolution computer screen but it makes it
> look softer and out of focus when it's in print. It could
> be as simple as that.

Under both 30x and 100x magnification, there's no sign of
anti-aliasing. That ain't it, sorry, those are hard edges. The
ink doesn't look all that opaque under magnification either,
but I still think the biggest deal is the stroke weight. Give
us old guys some visual contrast. They don't make light the
way they used to.
Ron N