[pianotech] pinblock drilling clamp

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Aug 13 08:57:21 MDT 2010

tnrwim at aol.com wrote:
> I never did a two pass drilling. I don't understand why two passes are
> necessary in the first place.

Wouldn't two passes be in the second place?

It isn't necessary, as a lot of holes in a lot of pinblocks
have been and will continue to be drilled in one pass. I
started drilling two passes when I started using Delignit
years ago, to get better uniformity with the equipment I had.
It worked very well for me. Drilling a 0.257" or  0.25" final
hole for a soft block, there won't be as much benefit as is
obvious in the denser or capped composite blocks.

I'm not selling the method, or forcing it on anyone. I offered
it to those who, like myself, wanted a more forgiving way to
produce a more accurate and uniform hole than they were
currently achieving. If you like what you're doing, continue
to do what you like.
Ron N