[pianotech] pinblock drilling clamp

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 15:58:53 MDT 2010

I know of nobody this side of the Ocean that uses a brad-point drill
for drilling wrestplanks and I've never heard of a factory that does.

The German suppliers sell special wrestplank drills with a fast
spiral.  One of these is illustrated in the lower picture, but the
ones I have, and prfer have a more acute angle (60°) to the point,
the same as the centre drill in the top picture.

The way I do it is in three stages:

1.  punch the centres

2.  drill the pilot hole and leading countersink with a 1/4" or 5/16"
centre drill as shown, stopping before the cylindrical shank.

3.  drill with the special wrestplank drill.

That's it.

JD