[pianotech] Whistlin' Wixey

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 17:03:43 MDT 2010

  On 8/12/2010 6:51 PM, William Truitt wrote:

> Some further clarification needed:  From your list yesterday.
>
> speaking length (up arrow), backscale (up arrow, higher reading that
> speaking) the bearing is positive
>
> I'm still a little confused.  If I zeroed on the speaking length, why
> would the arrow be up or down if it is at zero?  Please explain what I
> am still missing here.  I understand the rear angle thing, but not this.

If you zero it on the speaking length, you are correct, there will be no
arrow. The arrow only appears when you are non-zero... it gives you an
indication of which way you are tilting away from zero.

The list I gave assumed you weren't bothering to zero it out, but rather
were just taking the initial speaking length reading without zeroing,
and comparing that presumably non-zero number to the backscale #.
Zeroing it out simplifies matters a little, but is a minor pain so I
mostly don't bother.  Just keep in mind if you zero it out, take note of
which way the arrow points.

Jim I

Jim Ialeggio
grandpianosolutions.com