[pianotech] Whistlin' Wixey

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Aug 12 16:51:24 MDT 2010

To get the composite reading, don't you simply add the front and rear angles
and divide by two to average and get the proper value for the bearing
angles?

ugh...no...now I see why you were trying to find some reliable reference to
work off of...this will just complicate your life immeasurably, help you to
make mistakes, and give a reading that has no practical value, ie doesn't
mean anything.  The way I described using it uses the device as an indicator
to determine composite angle by simply noting the difference between front
and back angles.

Uh, I don't need any help making mistakes or making my life complicated, I
do that well enough on my own, thank you.

As a side note on downbearing, as an experimenting belly designer myself
(getting better too, I must say, yay), you might find it useful to
intellectually chuck everything you knew, or thought you knew about
downbearing and start fresh in your thinking, especially in an rc&s design
(if that's where you are going).  Reading through trad approached to
determining and setting downbearing will just take you down confusing dead
ends, as rc&s vs cc behavior is not apples to apples in this regard.  The
composite angle gives you (individual string lbs bearing= sine of composite
angle x individual string tension) a way to
determine how much load the board has to carry...thats all thats of
practical use...at least thats the way I'm using this measurement.

Well, my mind has been getting expanded, sometimes fighting tooth and nail.
I'm just trying to sort out the blooming, buzzing confusion into coherent
thought forms..  I'm not doing R, C, & S yet, but a hybrid rib crowned board
based on calculations that Jude Reveley has been helping me with to
establish rib crown, bearing load, deflection, etc.  This early in the game,
just managing the new skills of installing boards is a lot to know.  Add
this stuff, and my little ole brain gets chock full and starts to overheat.

For example, I really don't know what practical value the measurements you
are taking on the old B have, other than to maybe help you decide the
elevation of the plate or something.  Seems like it would be useful to see
in a very general sense where the board failed, but past that, it would get
you thinking apples to oranges and just confuse your new design thought
right from the beginning...no?

Strictly speaking, no practical value since I am yanking the board and
chucking it into the trash bin.  I was just playing with the gauge to see
what kind of readings an old dead board would give me, and to practice using
the little bugger.

I checked my readings today with my new found knowledge, and they are
different - more in line with what I would expect this old board to be:

Note 2:  Rear angle differential is + 1.1.  19 is .2, 41 is -.1, 50 is 0,
and 54 is -.2.

Some further clarification needed:  From your list yesterday.

  speaking length (up arrow), backscale (up arrow, higher reading that
speaking) the bearing is positive

I'm still a little confused.  If I zeroed on the speaking length, why would
the arrow be up or down if it is at zero?  Please explain what I am still
missing here.  I understand the rear angle thing, but not this.

Thanks again.

Will