[pianotech] pinblock drilling clamp

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Aug 11 20:53:36 MDT 2010

Ron Nossaman wrote:
> Shawn Hansen wrote:
>> Tis true.
>> It will be "centered" when I finish the feed, but I would rather not
>> move the pinblock with the drill bit while drilling.  The bit will
>> bend and that side pressure in the hole is just not what I am after.
>> One drilling, one clean hole for me.  Granted, this is with the
>> pinblock out of the piano and on a drill press.  I have not tried the
>> in-piano method, though I hear it is stellar.
>
> I haven't tried it out of the piano except on test blocks, but I've
> heard from those that do that it works the same. I guarantee that I
> don't get the second pass precisely centered with my sled except by dumb
> luck.
>

>> Either way, I am sure practice makes great.
>
> Again, the point is that the method does the work, not any super
> practiced skill set.
> Ron N

Something else just occurred to me. You seem to agree that the
hole will be centered as you finish the feed. So flip the
block over after the first pass, and you'll get a more uniform
drilling at the top of the block where it counts than I can
with my rig, or that you can with one pass from the top.
Ron N