[pianotech] Whistlin' Wixey

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Aug 11 18:44:37 MDT 2010

I made the stand  and feet for a Wixey gauge to measure down bearing angles
at the bridge on strung pianos.  I've reread the early posts on the Wixey
and Beall gauges, but I still have some questions.  For those of you who
have been using this tool for a while, I hope you can provide me with some
further assistance.

What should I zero the gauge to?  There seems little in a piano that is flat
and level to serve as a meaningful reference.  I want a proper reference
point to zero to, so that the values will accurately reflect the angle of
the string.  What are others using as their reference?

Since I am measuring both the speaking length angle and the back or waste
length angle, what relationship between the two do you typically find in a
new and healthy board?  In an older board?

Anything else I should look for, or other advice you can give me in the use
of this gauge?

I made a gauge similar to Jim I's.  Foot spacing is too long for rear angle
check in high treble with rear duplexes.  I will make another base with
shorter feet.  Have others made another base with shorter span between feet
to use in the treble?

Won't the relationship between the front and rear angles be affected by how
carefully the bridge top is planed down to the desired height when setting
bearing at the bridge?  That is, how careful one is to not plane down too
much off the front side or back side of the bridge.

I zeroed the gauge on the rim top today, and checked two pianos in my shop.

An 1899 Steinway B, original board, STH (board shot to hell), in the shop
for a new board and total rebuild.  My next project.  Here are some
readings:

Front Angle is referenced as FA, Rear angle is referenced as RA, a Fowler
dial gauge reading  (centered on the bridge between the pins) is DG

Note 2:   FA is .5, RA is .1, and DG is .009

Note 19:  FA is .7, RA is .5, and DG is .003

Note 41:  FA is .4, RA is .7, and DG is .001

Note 50:  FA is .4, RA is .7, and DG is .002

Note 54:  FA is .6, RA is .7, and DG is .004

Note 66:  FA is 1.1, and DG is .010                             The rear
lengths from here up were too short for me to take a angle reading with my
present gauge

Note 72:  FA is .9, and DG is .006

Note 79:  FA is .9, and DG is .008

A 1916 Steinway M, rebuilt about 20 years ago, original board.  Being stored
in my shop.

Note 7:  FA is .9, RA is .5, and DG is .007

Note 25:  FA is 1.2, RA is 1.0, and DG is .005

Note 43:  FA is .5, RA is .1, and DG is .010

Note 51:  FA is .6, RA is .9, and DG is .006

Note 54:  FA is .7, and DG is .005

Note 68:  FA is .6, and DG is .009

Note 74:  FA is .6, and DG is .015

I'm planning on checking such measures on a Steinway A strung with new
board, along with crown readings with a Jude Reveley Crownulator.  Any and
all comments would be welcomed.

Will Truitt