[pianotech] Dust collection

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 10 21:51:27 MDT 2010

Mark Purney asked: "I'm still planning my shop and I've got my eye on this bandsaw. I was
curious to hear opinions from those who do lots of shop work if this is
a good choice. I consider this one of the most important tools, and I
don't want to regret my decision later on."

Mark,
A convenient way to do dust collection w/o the darned "huge" bag type vacuum systems, that are noisier'n all getout, is to have a medium to large size shop vacuum. The one I have is much quieter than most and has the added feature, where you plug the power tool into it and when you turn on the power tool, it turns on the vacuum and the vacuum continues to suck even a few seconds after you have turned the tool off! The brand is FEIN. They are a bit pricey, but, so far, well worth it. They offer a small/medium/large type. I have the medium and it has served me far better than the 5 other Shop Vacs I've owned. Fein touts there vacs a being quiet, just don't believe it's as quiet as they claim.<G> There are some design flaws, but can be overcome. One is they do not offer a system for holding the accessories and only come with a 3" hose and attachments. I, fortunately have several 1 1/2" hoses from the aforementioned Shop Vacs that work well and can take standard attachments. (I salvaged an acessory rack off of one of those too!<G> A couple of bolts and voila'!<G>)
Hope that helps.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)