[pianotech] Simple repair - so why not done?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 08:00:49 MDT 2010

When we can handle things like this (and more difficult things), word
gets around.

I often see attempts at "repairing" sticking keys: the most usual is a
heater bar in the action cavity. You can see pen/pencil marks (and,
more rarely, chalk marks) identifying the problem keys. Which still
are usually not working properly. And the jiffy leads. Often the
solution is as simple as easing a bushing or balance hole. Sometimes
it's an action center. Nothing remotely like quantum physics, though.

And I wonder how good those toonings really are?

--
JF