[pianotech] Kudo's to Paul Jansen company

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 13:46:41 MDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Tom Driscoll <tomtuner at verizon.net> wrote:

>  List,
>   I'd like to pass along a testiment to the great customer service received
> from the Paul Jansen Co.
>     Several years ago I purchased a piano cover for a Steinway B that
> belongs to a church client .
> The cover was developing a problem in that very fine dust was coming out of
> the lining and creating quite a mess in this piano.
> I called and spoke to Paul Jansen and after describing the problem he
> offered to replace the cover at no cost and even sent along a call tag to
> return the the old one.
>  Well ------- I brought the new cover to the piano and when I removed the
> old one I saw a GRK tag inside. My jaw fell open like in the cartoons !
> I had ordered the cover from GRK and not Jansen . Feeling pretty stupid , I
> called Paul and explained the situation and had him bill me for the cover .
>  Luckily the church was understanding and paid my cost to Jansen for the
> new cover.
>
> I then contacted GRK and also explained what had happened  to the cover .
> They declined to replace or apply even partial credit for the failure of the
> cover. I was told that if you bought a bedspread and it failed after seven
> years you would not expect a replacement.  That to me is an understandable
>  response as the cover was certainly not new and there is no written
> warranty in their catalog or web site that covers their products for that
> length of time. When I explained that when Jansen thought it was their
> product and wanted to replace the cover I was told that they were very
> surprised that Jansen would do that.
>
>   In my view GRK did nothing wrong in this situation  but Paul
> Jansen without hesitation stood behind what he thought was a failure in one
> of his products even after all those years.
>   Customer service does not get any better .
>
> Tom Driscoll RPT
>
> Jansen website
> http://www.pljansen.com/

I live in Wisconsin, about a 3 hour drive from the Jansen company, on one
occasion I had a custom cover made for a new grand piano & due to a below 0
weather forcast for the weekend, I chose to drive over & pick up the cover,
artist bench & Dampp Chaser system to ensure it was installed prior to the
cold snap.
I can assure you that everyone there is just as nice in person.
I had brought along an ajustment knob from a "mystery" artist bench hoping
they could match it, as the bench only had one & no name on it anywhere.
They couldn't match it but determined the inner diameter needed & bored a
pair of new ones for me while I waited.

Great company, great service!

Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

    Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service