[pianotech] tightening balance hole was Bouncing Bostons

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 1 19:10:18 MDT 2010

Tom Driscoll wrote:
> Concept alert noted. Back in the 70's a tech told me to use tightbond
> and not elmers glue for hanging hammers cause 'the elmers had a high
> water content and the job would require much more "burning " to stabilize.

Wow! That seems truly random. <G> I'd think consideration of
the strength and hardness of the glue might be somewhat more
important than waiting another hour for water to evaporate
(with no real reason to presume the Elmer's was "wetter" in
the first place), but then sizing balance holes isn't hanging
hammers, so the rules of physics might change with the
telling. That seems to be fairly common.

> Another myth out the window it seems.

A myth is as good as a mile, except it seems one can stumble
through more myths in any given day on foot, without even
raising a blister.

> I suppose now you'll tell me the tone wood does not come from the north
> side of the trees!. <G>

That's a vicious rumor. Of course it does, and the East side,
South side, West side, and in the middle. The secret's in the
varnish anyway, I'm told.
Ron N