[pianotech] Somewhat OT... metals recycling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 29 22:18:02 MDT 2009

paul bruesch wrote:
> This question is mainly directed to those who have a metals bucket for
> things like old tuning pins, etc.
>
> Do you just toss anything metallic in there? e.g. old bass strings,
> copper wire from when you wired that additional light in the shop? The
> bent-beyond-belief tomato cage from the garden??

How big a bucket are you seeing here? Whatever the standard
can size is for three pounds of coffee (arbitrary calibration)
will hold a quite useful cumulative weight of tuning pins for
substitute "butt clamps" when you're a butt or two short of a
load. Bass strings don't fit, either physically or
categorically, into either secondary use, or recycling
scenarios. Last I heard, the copper guys wanted the wrap
stripped off of the cores. That, realistically, leaves either
the arts and crafts folks or the landfill. Same with
electrical wiring, at the waste volume we typically generate
for that one.

I do, I confess, have what may well be half a ton (possibly
exaggerated) of bass string takeouts on the premises, awaiting
the residence artist's attention. With me to look after, it's
no great mystery that the project hasn't quite come up on the
wheel for her just yet, so that's one of the easier calls.

Compared to the killer wood pile, this is pretty much a
non-event anyway.
Ron N