[pianotech] Steinway verdigris questions

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 16 22:00:58 MDT 2009

Actually, it hasn't taken 75 years to turn into verdigris.  Many pianos have
developed this a lot sooner than that.  It has taken place over a period of
about 75 years perhaps???   I'm not familiar with what year Steinway started
using it and what year they stopped but my "guess" would be in the early
1920's (or sooner) into about the mid 1950's or later??  In that time frame
from 1920 to let's say, 1960, only 40 years had passed with thousands upon
thousands of sticking action parts.

Regardless of that, I've tried using everything you can think of almost,
over the years including protek.  It does not last and does not always free
it up if it is very bad.

I've tried using polypropylene, something Jim Reeder recommended to me many
years ago.  I removed the flanges and center pins and then I brushed and
brushed and brushed the flanges birds eyes on both sides continually with
polypropylene attempting to brush the crud out of them with it as best I
could.  I also brushed the whippens and hammer shanks on both sides where
the flange engages and whatever else had verdigris on it.  I then replaced
all of the center pins with new ones.  While it did appear to resolve the
problem at that time, I discovered over a number of years,  that - that too,
did not last.

The bottom line is this.  The verdigris penetrates not only into the felt
but into the wood as well.  It also discolors it all.  Once it is there, it
appears to be there forever and will contaminate whatever else you get near
it eventually from what I've seen of it and I have seen a lot of it.

The only total absolute solution that I've seen that will last permanently,
is complete parts replacement.  Not just flanges but whippens and whatever
else is attached to the parts that were contaminated with verdigris.  That
is, hammer shanks, flanges, whippens and whippen flanges, etc.

I know people that use an electrical "zapper" on the flange pins and claim
that it lasts and solves the problem but, after many years, I have seen
these same flanges return to sticking again so that leads you back to
replacement.

Jer Groot RPT