[pianotech] Will...Re: Interested in having my Yamaha U1 voiced

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 13:21:43 MDT 2009

Julie

Steaming hammers is very easy. You'll need a electric iron, as found on page 56 of the Schaff catalogue. You'll also need the brass hammer iron, which is pictured below the electric cord.

Use a linen cloth, like a handkerchief. Make it wet, but not dripping, place it over the hammer, and touch the hot hammer iron to the top of the hammer for about 1 or 2 seconds.You can do this right in the piano, so after you do this,play the note, and see what effect is has. If it's still not soft enough, repeat the process. If it is too soft, put the iron on the hammer without the wet cloth, but only for about a second, That hardens the felt. Once you get the hang of it, and know approximately how long to put the iron on the hammer, you can do a whole section at a time.

I've done this on old spinets with very hard hammers, and new Asian grands. It's a lot faster and easier on the wrist, than needle voicing. After you've done the whole set of hammers, you can voice needle the few that need a tweak.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943