[pianotech] Will...Re: Interested in having my Yamaha U1 voiced

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Sep 15 09:42:05 MDT 2009

On 9/15/09, Terry Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Julia - The best way to steam voice hammers is the Roger Jolly method.
> He has published articles in the PTG Journal describing the method -
> he has also lectured on the subject. I don't know what issue has the
> article - maybe someone else knows.
>
> The method is basically as follows: Cut several maybe 3" by 12" pieces
> of cotton material - like bedsheets. Dampen them. Lay the damp
> material over the hammer strike points. Take a hot iron with the brass
> ironing caul (Pianotek sells them) and iron the damp material with the
> hammer underneath. The hot hammer instantly heats the water in the
> cotton and turns it to steam and applies it directly to the hammer.
> One needs to experiment a bit at first to learn how hot to make the
> iron and how much water to put on the material. Once you get that down
> the process is extremely fast, effective and controllable. You can
> reverse the process by dry ironing the hammers. I use this method
> almost exclusively when doing extreme voicing (turning NASTY hammers
> into something resembling a piano hammer).
>
> If the hammer is properly glued, it will not cause any problems. I've
> never had a hammer come unglued, and I've done this hundreds of times.
>
> Terry Farrell

...or you could be cheap, like me.

I used an old white handkerchief and a travel steam iron (dry) the
first time I experimented. Never bought a special tool.

 I found I could "bulk steam" a whole section at a time. (Baldwin
243s, of which we have 20)

Speed -  No nuance, fer sher, but iron is so light that I can do
individual hammers if I want.
Minimum steam setting for softening, "wool" setting for hardening.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
Luther College, 700 College Dr.,