[pianotech] Interested in having my Yamaha U1 voiced

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 20:09:42 MDT 2009

Tyler,

     Good Luck!  Oriental hammers for the most part are made of wool that
is harshly chemically treated and bleached till their super white. I am told
that the Orientals like them very white.

    I just went through this with my own Yamaha U3.  Over 10 years of
playng and these hammers were awful.  About 5 years ago,  I lightly sanded them
and needled the sides near the crown and it got better but in 5 more yrs (6
mos ago) they were annoying again. I needled the tarp out of them about 6
months ago, as well as tried some alchohol with some of the final needling.
They are better, but theres still these high overtones.

    I ordered a set of Abel naturals. That was 2 months ago. As soon as I
get some time, I am going to change them out.

    The inevetable is that you probably will end up wanting new hammers.

Julia
Reading, PA