[pianotech] Bluthner birdcage

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 9 03:52:23 MDT 2009

Terry,

wow, never heard of that muting technique. No wonder that you feel traumatized :-)

I tuned many of these birdcages. When I used to be an aural tuner I tilted the action forward to insert a temperament mute strip or better a mute comb and pushed the action back. After tuning the temperament I removed the strip/comb and tuned the unisons with a single mute. Then going down in octaves (checking the fourth/fifth) and finally going up in octaves. Always using a single mute for the string to be tuned and one mute for the checking string. Never tilting the action for every single key.

Now, using an ETD, it´s much easier. I start with A0 and go up to C8. Always using a single mute like Rob described. It´s a little bit tricky to insert the mute because you don´t see very much. But after a while it becomes much easier, no need to worry. Annoying is that you allways have to stoop down to look where to insert the mute. I am not shure wich mute you used, I use these:

http://www.meyne-klaviertechnik.de/start.php?go=10details&id=647&code=2&zustand=5&site=0

or these:

http://www.meyne-klaviertechnik.de/start.php?go=10details&id=648&code=2&zustand=5&site=0

We see many birdcage pianos here, and usually we recommend not to invest any money aside from tuning. But there are 2 exceptions, and this is commen sense in Germany: Blüthner and Ibach overdampers. Often very well sounding and well damping.

BTW: sometimes you can´t tilt the action forward because it´s connected with the key frame. In that case you have to pull the key frame including the action.

Gregor

piano technician - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de