[pianotech] piano history books

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sat Oct 31 22:10:44 MDT 2009

David

For a "Piano Anatomy" class at Alabama, I used PIANO, A PHOTOGRAPHIC HISTORY OF THE WORLD'S MOST CELEBRATED INSTRUMENT, by David Crombie. It's rather expensive, ($35), but it has loads of information about the history of the piano, with the pictures. It also has little blurbs on which composer used what brand of piano.

If this is for a class, when I taught this, as part of their grade, I had each students do a report on a composer of their choice, what instrument that composer played on, and the history of that piano company. Since most of my students were piano majors, or at least minors, they were also supposed to play a piece by that composer.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789