[pianotech] the thread regarding number of tunings

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 31 21:35:38 MDT 2009

Good advice Chuck.  (See Chuck's post below Marshall's post) It is very
true.  Speed comes with practice.  I have my dad to thank for my speed.  He
was the fastest tuner I've ever met or watched.  His speed was not only
amazing but his accuracy was too.  I may be fast but, I could never match
his speed.  I could come close, but he could always manage to beat me.  Dad
would get it spot on with the pin set in no time flat.

When I was learning, dad would stand by me saying "next, next, faster, next!
NEXT!  Don't worry about it Jer, it's a pitch raise, go!  You want speed
now, fine tune it later.  I'll fix it for you Jer GO."  We did that day
after day until I was finally able to raise pitch 1/2 tone or more in 6
minutes or less.  It's the first pass through that allows you the rest of
the time to work on the fine tuning.

Dad used to also tell me to watch a clock.  Keep close tabs on it.  If it
takes you 2 hours now, first work on getting that time down to 1 hour 55
minutes.  Keep what you are striving for reasonable.  Keeping track with a
watch will help this.  Then strive for 1 hour 45 minutes etc., until you get
it down to an hour or less.

Let's say you manage to get your pitch raise down to 15 minutes.  Now this
leaves you 30 minutes for a 45 minute pitch raise and fine tuning or even
one hour total.  But remember, it takes practice and hundreds of tunings.
It didn't come natural to me either.  I was fortunate enough to have a dad
that took the time to just stand there watching saying next, now, next GO!

The biggest error I believe that beginners make and a lot of others too, is
attempting to fine tune or do an accurate tuning during what should really
be considered a pitch raise instead.  That's where you lose a lot of time.
Get it up to pitch first.  Tune it second.

Building a business, any business, takes time and effort.  We must put as
much effort into building it up as we constantly do once it is built up.  My
dad used to tell me that it takes more effort to maintain your business and
reputation once it is built up than it does to build it up.  Although I
didn't believe that at the time, I found that to be very true.  It is easy
to ride on a reputation sometimes letting things slide.  We have to control
that by constantly forcing ourselves to maintain a high standard of quality
regardless.

It's a lot easier and forgiving to screw up on the way up during our
beginning, learning years.  Once your business is where you think you want
it, keep striving for something higher because there is only one way to go
otherwise and that is down.

Jerry Groot RPT

Hi everyone,
First I want to congratulate everyone who is tuning so often and doing so
many in a week.  That's great!  Upon reading the thread concerning # of
tunings, I am amazed and asking myself when will this occur on my behalf?  I
finished my training at the Piano Hospital now called the School of Piano
Technology for the Blind, and I have a great foundation, plus what training
I received in Chicago from who is my good friend Nick Kircher.  I've read
this thread with amazement and asked, "when will I reach this, and will I
since I often have to travel by train/bus to reach my appointments. My wife
does drive me to some of them that are not attainable by public transit.
I'm also curious as to how I can up my numbers since I've been told, speed
will come as I get confident. I feel confident. I know what to listen for,
but I'm still not tuning under an hour and a half.  sometimes two depending
on the piano and how much the customer talks to me as I experienced today.
So I'm not envious, but wondering is there a missing piece in this puzzle,
or have I been at this not long enough to experience the awesomeness that
tuning more than a piano or two a day brings?

Les also mentioned word of mouth as his way of receiving customers.  So far
no word of mouth going on here.  Is this also a time factor since I've only
been back here in Philly since early July?  My customers are happy even the
ones I tune as a subcontractor are happy, and they still try at times to
pressure as to what I charge, which I cannot offer since they are not my
customer.  So will I be back to tune their piano or not, depends on the
person I subcontract for, more than likely yes, so word of mouth cannot
occur there.
So I apologize for my lenthly post, but I'm wondering am I missing
something, or is it simply a matter of "not being in the business" long
enough?  I sit here and think, man 8 tunings a day? If I could tune that
fast, my family would have everything they coud need and want, bills would
be paid and not piling up.  What am I missing?  I have the training and
continually learn of course, and when money picks up I'm joining the PTG
again.

So please understand I'm grateful for the customers I have and the school
district I have although the last guy I believe finished the fall tunings
much quicker than I, but I'm told teachers are all positive about my
tunings. So I'm thankful for what I have, but would love to increase this
for my family's sake.  I'm planting a lot of seeds, and seeing some results.
Is this just a matter of time as Brooke Benton sang? Thanks for listenig
everyone, You're all great and I appreciate you!
Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
 <mailto:pianotune05 at hotmail.com> pianotune05 at hotmail.com
215-510-9400
Graduate of The School of Piano Technology for the Blind
www.pianotuningschool.org <http://www.pianotuningschool.org/>  Vancouver, WA