[pianotech] Workload

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 31 11:03:31 MDT 2009

Can't help but jump in on this thread. Several years back I was asked by the Florida Bandmasters Assoc. to tune all of the pianos for the solo and ensemble festivals. Basically 24 Baldwin Hamilton's were moved in from all of the district schools onto the college site. When I agreed to do the job I was figuring I would have several days to get the work done. The look of surprise when I learned that morning that the festival started the following morning at 10am.
Believe it or not I pulled it off, but with much pain and remorse for many months. All pianos were left at concert A440.
My routine was to do the tunings at 28mins each and do 4 in a row. Take a 1/2 break. Then 4 more. Then an 1 hr break. Then back at it for the remainder of the day and night. I finished sometime around 4am. Not only the obvious pain in my back and wrists, but my ears hurt like a dickens. Half way through I ended up putting ear plugs into to soften the impact.
Needless to say the Association wasn't too thrilled when I handed them a very high bill. They initially said this bill was outrageous. I nodded my head and said it certainly is.
Tom Servinsky