[pianotech] Workload

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 08:53:56 MDT 2009

>The messages in this thread certainly shows a remarkable variety of "full
days" from 3 or 4 to 15 - 18!  My view of the high numbers is probably
skewed by a guy I know who can do 15 pretty regularly.  His end result is
not to be confused with a concert tuning nor actually even a decent console
tune-up.

I'm sure that many of you who do the high daily numbers do very good work I
just can't keep up with that pace.  My personal record is 10 in a day.  That
was 5 each in two schools (little driving) and the pianos were tuned twice a
year and all were P22s (easy to tune).  That was also many years ago when I
was considerably younger!  How do you manage that many tunings in a day?

dave<

To the Daves (Porritt and Love) - I certainly couldn't keep up that pace on
a daily basis. My 83 tunings for October consisted of 4 days of 8 (basically
once per week), 1 day of 6, 3 days of 5, 2 days of 4, 4 days of 3, and 5
days of 2. The days I do 8 are the days I drive up I-35 to northern Iowa.
I'm not going to drive 2 hours, do 3 pianos, then turn around and come home.
I get to bed early the night before, have my lunch/supper packed, get up at
6:30 and am on the road by 7. I start at 9 in the morning with the tunings
scheduled an hour and 15 minutes apart.  Back home at night by 9:00. Not my
favorite way to spend the day, but it helps pay the bills. The days with 2
or 3 tunings are much more relaxed. Today I'm spending the morning in the
shop, then I'm off on a 15 mile drive to do 2 church pianos after lunch.
Piece of cake. Chuck