[pianotech] Procedure manual for working with manufacturers AND dealers

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Thu Oct 29 20:40:38 MDT 2009

 The recent thread with much vindictiveness--and I must say, some wonderful, well thought-out replies from a number of our colleagues, may well give us the impetus to

create a much needed new area of concentration of knowledge in our industry.

Classes abound on how to do the mechanical repairs and tunings, but few, if any, on how to deal with the other parts of the piano industry.  Mark Wisner and Roger Jolly's emails have opened the door to what their needs as a manufacturer are.  Will Truit spoke of how he handled the times he had to have another tech do warranty work for him when he was a Baldwin dealer.

Everyone in the piano industry would benefit, and our customers would too, if we can get together and work out procedures that are comprehendible by everyone.  This would be especially useful for new techs who haven't had the time to learn by experience what many others of us have come to over the long years of trial and error.

Diane Hofstetter