[pianotech] Don't work for this manufacturer

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Oct 29 08:04:09 MDT 2009

With the proverbial "all due respect" to all, and mindful of the fact
that this discussion was thought by some to be  inappropriate for
this list AND that it seemed to have moved toward resolution on
Tuesday when Wim wrote:
>I have sent jane a private e-mail, and hopefully we have resolved the issue.

I would tempt fate by making some observations:

I continue to be surprised by a collective unwillingness to allow for
the inevitable existential dualities - (I find them everywhere since
meeting David Anderson last spring).  Yes, we're all in this
together, there is no conspiracy, Roger Jolly and Jane Jones are both
good people, most of you are smart enough to have never been left
holding the -end of the stick, or, if not, have learned to deal with
it philosophically, etc.  How can Wim be right, given all of this?

The issue has moved past who did what, or what the correct strategies
are in dealing with recalcitrant individuals or organizations might
be.  It's not even about whether Wim's reaction to a perceived
provocation was reasonable.  It's about his bringing a clearly
personal conflict to this forum.  It's about having to balance the
contradictory perceptions of ourselves as family and competitors,
which, by the by, also remains as an inherent dichotomy of our
organization.  The dilemma: how can one effectively use the leverage
of peer-pressure for conflict resolution without generating
unintended, undesired consequences?  Would it make a difference if
this list were closed, like PTG-L?  Could  the absence of the
multiple layers of interest (i.e. the public) contain the potential
damage from an unrestrained  free-for-all?   And how does one balance
the expression of ones' sincere opinions with the potential impact of
those opinions?  What is the balance between our own self-interest or
those of our client, and the interests of the industry?  What is it
that we shouldn't be saying here on this list of mixed company?

One of the mistakes I think some people have made is co-joining
unrelated Wim-issues.  A number of people have suggested a connection
between Wim's current complaint and concerns he's expressed, quite
candidly, in the past (recent or not) about his business or his
feelings.  They're not related, nor, for the sake of rational
discourse, are the issues of the integrity and goodness of the
parties involved, the quality of the product, or the effectiveness of
the business organization.   Wim's complaint was not new.  There have
been a number of Samick-related threads in the last year, a couple
related to payment issues.  Wim's post was just a bit more
provocative and 'out there'.

Hopefully, not only will his own issue be resolved, but whatever
actual problems in support services at the company that might have
contributed to this conflict would be attended to.

all-due respectfully,
David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY
"There's White people watching!" - Wanda Sykes

  Why I am being made to look like the bad guy for bringing this up,
when it is clearly the manufactures who are at fault?