[pianotech] Stringing Case

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 19:53:05 MDT 2009

I use an ammo box. I think it's a .50 caliber box, but I'm not certain. You
can find them at army surplus places for less than $10. Mine were 3 for $10,
or something like that. But that's been several years ago. Then I spray
painted the outside flat black. Didn't want that army green look. However,
some customers still know ... they'll say, "Is that an ammo box?"

It holds a sufficient number of wire spools (like the 1/3 pound size w/
brake). I don't carry all sizes, but have most of the common ones. I think
it's every size from .031 to .049.  The stringing tools are in a small
canvas pouch on top of the strings, along with a string level, small spring
clamp, micrometer, and tape measure.  It's a very tight fit and must be
arranged in a particular way. Sometimes compression is needed. But it works
well.

For universals, I have a case that my dad made out of another case he got at
some auction. I used to use universals often, but don't much anymore since
my splicing got better.  And the clientele. :-)

Ammo cases: watertight seal, cheap, and effective.

--
JF