[pianotech] question

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 18:43:27 MDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of tuning for a school that has 5 pianos.  This one piano a Petroff, seems to be Asian made because it has that Asian feeling fall board that you just put over pegs in the back while allowing the front to lay over the keys in closed position, and it has a practice rail and a front top panel that sits on pegs not to mention hammer spring cord loops.  This pianoneeds some repair, namely an A that plays when I play it softly or medium, but the sound gets choaked when I give it a good hard blow.  I've been told that it's a spoon issue, so I'm still trying to correct that by bending the spoon toward the strings, but I tried to use my fingers from behind when the action was out. For some reason I'm having a tough time getting the spoon bender in there. It's a direct blow action.  , but here's my main dilemma because I think if I struggle with it long enough, I'l get that spoon bent enough so the A will play when hit hard.  Some of the hamers are loose and in the process of investigating one of them I disconnected the bridal strap so I could get to the hammer screw easier.  Bridal straps are not difficult to hook up right? well this one was and in the process of trying to hook it over and over and over.. the tab gave up and broke.  Could a bad tab make it hard to hook up a strap? I"ve done these at the school, and I'm sure I was doing it right, just go up the right side of the wire and around that loop and kind of under and up over the post letting the hole on the tab through.  Each time I did this the tab looked cockide.  Another porblem is that I'm not sure if it has a Billings flange or a butt plate set up.  I imagine if it's a billings flange, I could rebush the flange as I was told I could do, but I'm having trouble remembering if what to do if it's a butt plate issue.  So any ideas would be great.  I'm hoping I can take this action home so I can work on it.  Are there any techs in the Philly area who want to give me a hand?

Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com