[pianotech] Mysterious Key Noise

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 27 14:40:30 MDT 2009

Greetings: I am working on a grand piano that has a noise coming from C2
that is eluding me. The symptom is a knocking that occurs on the downstroke.
The noise disappears when the sustain pedal is depressed, but still present
when the C2 damper is lifted individually. I initially thought it was the
key end felt, but the fact that the noise remained when I lifted the damper
manually excluded that as the source. This would also seem to eliminate the
damper flange as the source, and I also checked that flange and it made no
unusual noise by itself. It seems that there must be something going on
within the wippen, but why the noise disappears when the sustain pedal is
depressed puzzles me.  Your help is appreciated.
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
530-265-1983