[pianotech] Web Site Usefullness

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 24 14:06:19 MDT 2009

Hi, Patrick:
	I put up my own website two and a half years ago.  I have an online
calendar service which customers can use to make appointments.  I don't
have to actually speak to them beforehand.  I use my other advertising
(yellow pages, etc.) to point to my website.
	I don't try to make piano tuners out of my customers, telling them
everything I know about tuning.  I advertise my services, and most
importantly, I try to make them push that Appointments button.  I don't
care about anything else.  I can say that it does help to have a website,
as it helps to have a Yellow Page ad so people can find you.  It tells (or
should) who you are, and what expertise you have.  You may put up some
useful information about pianos there.  But, don't forget that it should
entice people who go there to hire you.  If you forget that, your website
won't be as useful as it could be.
	Don't forget, too, that you want people who do a search on Google (or
whatever) to find you.  You need to have traffic go to your website, and
that means you need to have some experts optimize your website so that the
search companies will list your website on the first page of the search
results.  Otherwise, nobody is going to find you online.  It doesn't matter
if you have the fanciest website, with great graphics or animations, or
whatever.  If nobody can find you, who cares?  It depends on what your goal
is.  If you just want a website to up your ego, then it doesn't matter
what's on there.  But if you want people to go there, you need to be
prominent in a web search for piano tuning and repair (or whatever else you
want to advertise).  You need to impress your target audience.  If
everybody owns a Lester spinet, and that's your target audience, you don't
need to advertise that you do concert tunings.  They won't care.  If you
service high end customers with concert grands mostly, you need to impress
them that you are the best in town and give references and testimonials to
prove your expertise.
	There are many ways to "DIY", free software to get something up and going
yourself if that's your inclination.  Or you can hire a professional to put
together a state-of-the-art site for you.  Just remember, you are making a
"first impression" on your site, so consider what kind of image you want to
project.  I know that there is more than one professional web designer on
this list, so maybe they'll weigh in on the subject.
	Best of luck.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego