[pianotech] weights of hammers and shanks/replacement parts

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Sat Oct 24 12:29:04 MDT 2009

Hi Julia,

Perhaps the lowest tech way of matching hammer weights to match
existing key weights is to dry fit clusters of sample hammers hammers
mid-bass, mid-tenor, and mid-treble and find that weight that gives
you down weights in the high 40's.  Check the up weights and if they
are below 20 your friction is too high and if they are above 30 your
friction is too low...  I say clusters because no particular key
weighting is likely to be similar to neighbors so you have to look
for average levels in each of the three major sections...

Use a digital scale accurate to 0.1 grams to measure the weights.

If you want to know what weight level your hammer are you can refer to:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/SW-HWstandards4.pdf

If you want to measure 88 of the ready to hang hammers, look at a
graph of the weights using excel and come up with specifications to
smooth out the bumps you can go to:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/E-SmartChart2.4.xls

The weight of the modern parts isn't your main concern... plenty of
modern pianos play beautifully... it's not the parts so much as the
configuration of the weight and leverages... and keep an eye on that
friction!

It's an extensive subject and very important to our work.... Hammer
weight is the place to start!

Good Luck,

David Stanwood