[pianotech] weights of hammers and shanks/replacement parts

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 24 09:11:25 MDT 2009

Hi Julia,

Take the time to learn all about it and you will have the knowledge & tools to diagnose each action you work on (and then you'll know if you can just replace the hammers and what their weight should be). You won't be sorry--it's a valuable tool/skill. Perhaps there is someone in your chapter that can guide you through it.

Yes, shanks make a difference.

And don't believe that the leading done at the factory was always correct...

Good luck,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois