[pianotech] weights of hammers and shanks/replacement parts

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Sat Oct 24 08:29:39 MDT 2009

Greetings,

                 This is the first Steinway that I am replacing hammers on.
I would like to just replace what is there. The keys have 4 to 5 lead
weights in the bass. I don't think I should change it.

       What are the pros and cons of just replacing parts that are there vs
removing key weights and changing ratios and weights?

       Is there any reading I can do to help me through this job? I have
replaced hammers and regulated before...on uprights, and pianos like Lester
grands, but I have never done a Steinway and the whole weight figuring before.

         When replacing hammers and shank/flange assemblies, does the
weight of the shanks along with the hammer weight affect
downweights/upweights...or is only the hammer weight alone a factor for regulation?

Thank You,
Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA