[pianotech] Norm - O.T.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Oct 23 10:39:16 MDT 2009

Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Scott,
> I see where there is a desire to lament his program ending. Sorry. Just
> Not my kind of wood butcher. I prefer the guy that uses all of the Hand
> Tools, like they are a part of him. I think that is the Yankee Workshop
> or sumpin like that.

That's Roy Underhill, who owns stock in Band-Aid, or should.
Norm first showed up on something like This Old House, as the
quintessentially inefficient Old World New England carpenter.
Didn't own a power tool, or even seem to know they existed.
Turned screws by hand with a screwdriver, drove nails with a
hammer, worked wood with hand saws, chisels, and hand planes.
Did everything the hard way. A purist. Measured with a folding
wooden rule too. No Yo-yo for this guy. Then he discovered the
20th century, skipping the 19th altogether, and acquired some
power tools. Didn't do too bad with them either.
Ron N