[pianotech] sticking key

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 23 04:25:31 MDT 2009

Martin, if you read Ed's post again, you will notice that the complaint was that a note was sticking "when the pedal was used".

Now this indicates that without the damper's help to push the back of the key down, the key stays down.

On this particular brand of piano, the culprit is probably the hammer flange center-pin. And the fun thing is that

when you get to the piano it won't do it at first, but after playing for a while it seems to heat up and stick.

Play the piano for a while and then take the action out. Raise all the hammer shanks 90 degrees, slowly push them back

and watch them fall. You will find out which ones are problematic.

And when you find out which ones are, REPIN. lubrication won't work on the long run.

Marcel Carey,

Sherbrooke, QC