[pianotech] U1 - stained bass strings

Carlos Ralon ceralon at comcast.net
Thu Oct 22 09:13:13 MDT 2009

Rob:
We just opened a new set of bass strings, and were installing them when to our chagrin, noticed several obvious small dark marks.  Rather than wait for replacements I used a mixture of 'clock cleaning solution'. Just a very small amount to dampen the tip of a rag. It smells like pure ammonia so use a mask. The color rubbed off and I don't think there will be any later problems. I also use this stuff 10 parts water to 1 part ccl to soak old brass parts like casters and pedals, and then buff.
Carlos Ralon, RPT