[pianotech] U1 - stained bass strings

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 19 20:15:28 MDT 2009

I love how the manufacturers say they've seen this on "one" other piano. I
have seen staining on new piano strings over the entire course of my career
on all kinds of pianos. The biggest question is: does it effect the tone?

If the customer is worried about how it will change the resale value, just
how much does she think it will change the value in ten years? A hundred
bucks? Fifty?  A thousand? I think the number of dings in the case will tell
far more.

It may be much ado about nothing terribly important.

Dave Stocker, RPT
Tumwater, WA