[pianotech] U1 - stained bass strings

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 13:52:50 MDT 2009

Rob

I see by your web site that you are in the San Francisco area. Is this piano close to water, like a river or the ocean, because I see this a lot in Hawaii. It's a humidity problem. Moisture gets in the damper felts, and transfers it to the string. The same with the hammers. They are "wet", and when they hit the strings, the moisture transfers to the strings. Now that it is on the strings, there is nothing you can do to get rid of it. To keep it from getting worse is put in a dampp chaser. Not just in the bottom of the piano, but also up in front of the action.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician

94-505 Kealakaa Str.

Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789