[pianotech] Making a fully fitted pinblock without measurements

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Oct 18 19:58:05 MDT 2009

Hi Ed:

The wedges serve as a visual cross reference to what you and I are doing
with the patterns to confirm that the plate is actually going back where it
is supposed to front to back and side to side,  or at least will give us
some indication of error if it exists in our new block.  They are so quick
and easy to make that it's worth doing for the peace of mind.  I've always
been of the mind that Murphy hates me, he's out to get me, and it is
personal; so anything that gives me more assurance is for the good.

I had given much thought to doing the cardboard thing similar to what you
have outlined.  I have had issues at the ends where, even after measuring,
the angle of cut doesn't exactly measure the pencil line, albeit by a small
amount of error.  Hence my desire to make an exact pattern that  would allow
me to duplicate the shape and dimensions of the block to a very fine
tolerance.  How are you making your cuts for the stretcher and sides?

How do you take out the nose bolts without removing the plate first?  J
You're a better man than I, Ed!

As for the tail rise of the plate, you can drape the foot of the digital
electronic caliper from the top of the rim to a marking on the plate at the
bass end of the tail, record that reading, then undo the rim bolts and the
nose bolt nuts, watch the tail rise and record that measurement.  I've seen
them rise half an inch or more.

I don't trust that the plate won't sometimes want to move the pinblock
slightly away from the stretcher at the ends as the plate distorts the
block, so I have drilled my screw holes or dowel holes through the block and
into the rim, and locked the location in place so that it won't move when I
glue the thing in.  My preference is to drill the dowel holes into  and
through the pinblock on the drill press first.  Then I clamp the block to
the stretcher and down at the ends, and drill the holes down into the rim
for the dowels.  That way, it ends up exactly where it is supposed to be,
and cannot be anywhere else.

Maybe I am being too fussy, but I really like the security all this gives
me, particularly since I have recently started doing soundboards - where I
am really paranoid about getting the board and block back  where it is
supposed to be.  I've been rebuilding long enough to have a pretty good idea
how many ways I can throw the monkey wrench into the whirring gears.  You
know, the OH SHIT factor.

Will