[pianotech] Making a fully fitted pinblock without measurements

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Oct 18 17:14:27 MDT 2009

Hi Paul:

Thanks for your correction,  you are right that I meant to refer to step #4,
and my own error escaped me.

Don’t ask me for drawings.  Six year olds leave me in the dust when it comes
to my drawing skills.

I usually glue the block to the stretcher by way of a simple butt joint,
clamps, and epoxy, with the plate in place over the pinblock, and some
pinblock screws  drawing the plate and the top of the block together.
Clamps every six inches or so, with  protection for the stretcher finish,
clamping to the front of the plate flange and the stretcher,  to pull the
stretcher and the back of the block together.    I will have either doweled
the ends of the block into the  rim shelf, or used countersunk screws to do
the same.  With the legs of, I clamp from above at each end of the block.

In step 3, these shim stock pieces are tapped down vertically between the
plate and stretcher, or the plate and sides, at the corners where the
stretcher and rim sides meet.

#4 is a small, flat piece of scrap wood stock.  It could be just about
anything.

#6 step, I meant to say rip it instead of rib it.

Yes, stretcher piece does refer to the jig piece that I have just made,
which will serve to pattern the back of the pinblock dimensionally to the
stretcher, hence it’s name.

I hope this helps, and I appreciate your comments.

Will