[pianotech] Restring Chickering using orig pin block

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 16 17:41:54 MDT 2009

Al Said: "I'm restringing a Chickering grand and was prepared to replace the pinblock. I removed the plate and the pinblock is in great condition. Nice white wood, no cracks or separation, so I have decided keep the existing block. I removed 2/0 tuning pins.

I'm looking for suggestions as to pinblock preparation. Ream/drill and go up to 4/0, or just wire brush and use 3/0? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I'm also open to any other suggestions."

Al,
I would suggest replacing the block. Chickerings are/were notorious for loose pins. I've rebuilt several. All had blocks that looked good, with few exceptions. However, after trying to use several of them and getting mixed results and eventually replacing, I just replace and be done with it, anymore. I suspect the quality of the wood, plus the lack of sufficient laminations causes the problem.
Just my take on Chickerings.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police