[pianotech] Drilling pinblocks from the bottom

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Oct 15 12:57:07 MDT 2009

Kazuo Yoshizaki wrote:
>> In terms of trouble gone to, it's the other way. Not drilling through is unnecessary to the process.
>
> I think I've seen more loose pins on grands than on uprights, and I
> think it's to do with the holes all the way through or not. Am I
> wrong?
>
> Yoshi

That's the problem, isn't it. No one has enough evidence
either way to say. If the only construction differences
between grands and uprights was drilled through holes, it
might be indicative. In any case, it's not a matter of right
or wrong so much as trying to figure out what actually matters.

So, do you drill through grand pinblocks when you install new?
Ron N