[pianotech] Drilling pinblocks from the bottom

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Oct 14 20:03:08 MDT 2009

 Joe writes:

Consider, the next time you pull the pins on a rebuild, look at the ends of the tuning pins. More often than not, they are rusty! Gee, I wonder why? Personally, I don't want ANY moisture getting into the pin block if I can avoid it.

 I have seen rust on pins too, however,  I have seen rust on many pins that had 100 in/lbs of torque after 50 years, so I don't think it has much to  do with the ability of a block to hold torque.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT